They usually are forgotten by the middle of February, but my best intentions are in full effect right now and are taking the form of an ambitious slate of resolutions for 2013. Here we go:
- Eat better – this should be pretty easy, because i can't eat much worse than the last month. I'll follow Pollan's guidelines: Eat real food, not too much, mostly greens". I'll give Paleo a go. '
- 100 pushups – i'd like to be able to do 100 pushups in one session by the time i have my next birthday in September. This one will be a stretch.
- Hit 165 by June 1. That's 15 pounds in Six months. I should be able to do that.
- Ride a gravel century – Something like the Dirty Benjamin. 100 miles on a bike on gravel.
- Write for 15 minutes 3 times a week – I need to get going on being more creative and i always think better when i'm writing. So, i'm going to shoot for 45 minutes of writing a week. While it's not super ambitious, it's a positive step forward for me.
- Meditate for 5 minutes 4x a week – I've recently had some good success with meditation, so i'm going to shoot for 20 minutes a week of meditation. Again, not super ambitious, but i need to get some momentum.
- Gratitude – I've really focused on this in the last three months, and it's been a real eye opener. The simple act of recounting – daily – what i'm grateful for has been a great mood builder. I feel less like a selfish ass, more like a useful part of a larger system. I'll keep doing this whether or not it's a resolution.
- Embrace being a nice old man – In my world (digital marketing) i'm like "Grandpa Internet": I've been around the block a couple times and i feel i can help some of the younger folks around me. I want to fully embrace that concept of being a helpful mentor without being "that old white guy". I don't want to be that guy yelling "You kids get off my yard!". I can help, guide, and coach. And, hopefully, on my best days, inspire.
Now, for some real stretch goals:
- Start a magazine – There's so much amazing-ness happening with publishing right now, its a great time to make a small investement to learn. There's a specific area that i'm interested in that's not getting served, and so i'll scratch my own itch and make what i'm seeking.
- Make More – We're either consuming or we're creating. In a world of diminishing resources, i'd rather contribute than consume. So, i want to find ways to make more: ideas, things, inspiration. It's a fundamental point of view, more than an a plan at this point, but i hope it translates into real things that i've made.