We’re building Fahren to be a leadership solutions company. We want to become a key partner for organizations that are differentiating themselves by investing in and – yes – innovating in the ways they deploy their leadership talent.
One of the planks of our business plan is to focus on Interim roles in key leadership positions: Director/VP of Marketing, Product Leadership, Analytics, and User Experience.
We think “Interim Leader of X” is a tool that most organizations haven’t fully embraced yet. We’re advocates for the idea of using interim roles as a way to test & learn with your talent. You’re already using a test & learn approach in your marketing, your technology, and your product development efforts, why not approach your leadership team with the same model?
It Can’t Be Business as Usual
When most organizations are faced with an opening, they move quickly to refill the same seat with a standard leadership profile. It’s the “business as usual” approach, because everyone is busy and there are plans to deliver, right? So, they default to standard roles, generic job descriptions, templated profiles.
But, we believe most organizations are missing an opportunity to evolve either the “seat” (i.e. the role that’s being played in the organization) or the player profile (i.e. the mix of skills/experience/potential that the person brings to the seat). Most organizations would benefit a lot from taking the time to ask themselves: Is this still the right “seat”? And, do we still want to fill it with the same kind of player?
Why the rethink? Without a doubt, the business context will have changed in the months or years since the seat was designed. We believe organizations need to be as responsive, fluid and adaptive as their products these days, so it’s wise to rethink aspects of the role:
- Responsibilities: What objectives are we pursuing with this role? Are we pointing the role at the right business problems? Are we being aggressive enough?
- Level: Is it still a Director level role? Should it be a VP role? Could it be a manager?
- Commitment: Is it really full-time?
- Span of Control: Do we have the right teams reporting to this role? Could we expand the span of control?
And, at the same time, it’s wise to rethink the player profile:
- Skill mix – What leadership competencies are they bringing to the role?
- Developmental Experiences – What kinds of experiences should the player have? Startup experience? Big company? Turnaround? “Good to Great”?
- Culture Impact – How will you use the role to add to the culture (vs merely being a “fit”)
The Interim Opportunity: Test and Learn for Talent
As the pace of business accelerates, we’re seeing a lot of organizations embrace an agile (and Agile), iterative, test/learn approach to driving better results. We’re seeing it marketing, in product development, in technology teams, etc. But, we’re not yet seeing it on the talent side.
We see “interim” roles as being the way organizations can take a test & learn approach to their organizational efforts. An interim role that last 6-12 months gives organizations a chance to explore how key roles can evolve and how teams can work differently. The cycle looks similar to a market-test:
- Develop a hypothesis – How either the seat can evolve or the different leadership mix you need from the player
- Define a test – Redefine the seat or the player and create the test period (usually 6-12 months)
- Run the test – Put the new player into the role for 6-12 months
- Analyze the results – Review in-market results and team performance. Talk with the team, the leader, the rest of the leadership team, customers, vendors, partners, etc.
- Apply – Use the learnings to finalize the new role or the new leadership profile and then fill the role permanently
At Fahren, we expect to see more and more organizations using Interim roles as a way to test and learn their way to a more effective leadership mix. We’re setting up our business to help our partners get there via:
- Strategy & Advisory services – We’ll help you map out a new strategy and define the roles you need to get there
- Interim Talent – We’ll help you find and onboard the Interim leadership you need to keep driving results while learning about the talent mix that can take you to the next level
- Executive Search – When you know what you need and you want to fill the role permanently, we can help you conduct an efficient, effective search